Arts Administrator – Marketing Intern (Canada Summer Jobs Intern)
MCT is seeking an Arts Administrator – Marketing Intern to support the strategic marketing and day-to-day promotion activities for Mixed Company Theatre’s community arts projects. Reporting to MCT’s General Manager and in liaison with MCT’s Artistic Director, the Arts Administrator – Marketing Intern will help develop MCT’s community partnerships, effectively build and maintain MCT’s social media platforms, and support design, creation, and execution of all communications tasks.
Job Title: Arts Administrator – Marketing Intern
Reports to: Artistic Project Associate, General Manager
Job Type: Employment contract; Part-time; 15 hours/week
Job Period: July 19 to December 03, 2021
Notes: Possibility of Contract Extension as MCT Staff
Work Mode: Remote/Work from Home/Virtual
- Assist the Artistic Project Associate (Communications Lead) in developing and executing Communications Plan for artistic projects
- Support promotion of our programming through digital marketing tools
- Promote our school and community programming through phone and email to partner organizations and individual supporters/donors
- Regularly update and maintain school and community contacts database
- Create and post social media updates on Facebook, Twitter and other portals
- Create and post content on MCT websites and newsletters
- Support audience building activities for our public performances and readings (virtual/in-person)
- Develop content and design for marketing materials – flyers, pamphlets, and theatre programs
- Update and maintain content of MCT’s YouTube channel and other online media
- Coordinate with other interns / volunteers assisting in outreach activities
- Attend rehearsals / projects as required for communications related activities including photography and/or coordination with videographer
- Attend weekly team meeting to share updates on current communications deliverables and planned activities for upcoming projects
- Execute additional administrative or creative tasks needed
- Graduate Degree in Communications, Marketing, Arts Administration, Theatre or related programs
- Experience in the theatre and/or performing arts sector (required)
Skill Set and Knowledge/Other Requirements
- Age below 30 (as required by Canada Summer Jobs)
- Experience in the theatre and/or performing arts sector (required)
- Familiar/Acquainted with the arts sector in the GTA
- Experience and/or acquainted with digital marketing tools and strategies
- Excellent Communication Skills (Written and Verbal)
- Exceptional Relationship Building skills
- Proficient at secondary research
- Experience working and managing content databases
- Proficient at designing posters and other communications collateral including brochures, newsletters, and flyers
- Graphic Design skills an asset
- Proficient in the MS Office Suite of Products (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Working knowledge of important social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
- Working knowledge of WordPress (for website content development)
- Working knowledge of Mailchimp, Canva
- Working knowledge of the Google product suite
- Working knowledge of Internet research techniques
Mixed Company Theatre (MCT) creates innovative, socially relevant drama as a tool for positive change. We educate, engage and empower with community-engaged theatre. Based on Augusto Boal’s Theatre of the Oppressed and Forum Theatre (FT), our primary mission is bringing together professional artists and community members to engage in an intensive co-creation process to address social justice and equity issues.
Our artistic approach to FT begins with the community sharing lived experiences and developing a universal story depicting a social issue of concern to them. They then perform this story before a larger community audience. In a typical FT performance, the first act presents the “worst-case scenario” version of the community challenge/conflict. The performance finally culminates in the second act, where audience members become “spect-actors” and step onto the stage to replace an actor and suggest an alternative action to change the story for the better. Our work facilitates “rehearsal for reality” and forges deep connections between communities and the arts. We provide free/subsidized programming for schools and communities to experience and engage in Forum Theatre, to create an inclusive space for community dialogue/learning through the arts. We pioneer the cause for integrating community-engaged theatre in artistic and community engagement practice by providing training and arts education programs for artists, educators, and community practitioners
Mixed Company Theatre is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from diverse and equity-seeking groups/communities to apply and self-identify in their applications.
To apply to this position, please send your Resume and Cover Letter to email@example.com.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: June 24, 2021
Thank you to all those who apply. Only those applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.
Volunteer with MCT
Volunteering is a great opportunity to network with artists, learn new skills, engage with communities, and earn service hours. We offer mentorship in both creative and general office duties, and most hours are flexible. Positions and responsibilities are not limited to those listed below, and multiple volunteers can fill any given role.
Building on 35 years of educating, engaging, and empowering audiences and communities, MCT is looking for more opportunities to expand our work. As a volunteer, your knowledge and expertise will make a dramatic impact in helping MCT position itself for the future.
If you are interested in volunteering, please write to us or call us – our contact information is at the bottom of the page.
Assistant Project & Production Management
**These volunteer positions are time sensitive, they depend on the timing of the project development phases.
Artistic & Education Advisors
MCT’s Board of Directors
Technicians & Designers
Mixed Company Theatre hires technicians and designers year-round on a show-to-show basis. Interested parties can forward resumes to the email at the bottom of this page.
High School & Post-secondary students, Emerging Artists and others are placed from time to time in internships and job shadow opportunities. Each internship experience is individually designed to meet the educational goals of the candidate and the needs of Mixed Company Theatre. If interested, send your resume and a letter which describes in detail your goals, availability and if applicable school requirements to the email at the bottom of this page. Qualified candidates will be contacted for a meeting.
Please forward all application materials and questions about these opportunities to the following contacts:
Phone: (416) 805-9272