A UNESCO-recognized educational tool for implementing social change, FORUM THEATRE is a community-focused, facilitated style of theatre designed to address social issues and inspire action for change. Forum Theatre gives communities the agency to develop their own grassroots solutions and the ability to envision the positive outcomes of creating social change.
The techniques of Forum Theatre creation are transferable to a wide range of community engagement and educational initiatives. Workshop participants will receive the skills to become better facilitators, artists, community leaders, and more socially-aware educators.
We are so glad to be receiving multiple requests for workshops throughout the year. And in response, we are now holding workshops every 3-4 months! Please check back on this page (or subscribe to our newsletter using the link at the bottom of the page) to be the first in the know about upcoming workshop offerings as they are announced.
Masks of Manipulation: Online Workshop – CANCELLED
This workshop is facilitated by Simon Malbogat and will take place over two sessions.
This two-part workshop will introduce participants to the “Masks of Manipulation,” an invaluable character development and conflict-resolution process designed by Simon Malbogat. Each mask relates to seven different emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual manipulative forces we encounter both onstage and in daily life.
In this workshop you will…
- Learn how to identify various manipulative personas and de-escalate them effectively
- Learn how the masks of manipulation techniques can help communities identify and articulate the oppressive forces in their lives
- Use these personas to create authentic oppressive characters for the stage grounded in these manipulative forces
This workshop draws on Commedia dell’Arte-inspired masks to help participants acquire a deeper awareness of manipulation and oppression: how and why it happens, what it looks and feels like, and how to deflect it.
This workshop, facilitated by Simon Malbogat, is suitable for artists, facilitators, educators, social workers, and community activators alike.
- Please make all cheques payable to “Mixed Company Theatre.” Cheques can be mailed to 540 Dawes Road, Apt 407, East York ON M4B2E9.
- For payments through Interac e-transfer, and to ask any questions about fees, please email us at email@example.com.
- Cash payments are not permitted.
- Payment must be made on or before the start date of your workshop in order to receive the Zoom link.
“Pay What You Can”
- In the spirit of removing financial barriers to access, Mixed Company Theatre is able to offer a limited number of “Pay What You Can” payment options to those who require financial assistance in order to attend our workshops. Please indicate your need for this option through the registration form for the workshop(s) you wish to attend.
What Participants Are Saying About Our Workshops
Masks of Manipulation Facilitator: Simon Malbogat
Simon Malbogat is an award-winning theatre director, performer, and teacher with over 25 years of experience in Forum Theatre facilitation. Simon studied with the greatest contemporary popular theatre practitioners (Augusto Boal, Jerzy Grotowski, Eugenio Barba, Yoshi Oida) and has directed and acted in over 50 new Canadian works. Throughout his career, Simon has been focused on bringing theatre to youth, resulting in over 40 Forum Theatre plays for young people and has worked with many community organizations such as the Community Initiative Project, Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club, the East End Community Health Centre, the Sears Drama Festival for Youth, the Social Planning Council of Peel and the Toronto West End Community. He has also taught at The University of Toronto, York University, Humber College, Queen’s and Brock University.